The California Renewable Energy Center (CREC) provides a unique statewide forum among government, industry, educational, and non-profit organizations for integrated renewable energy research, education, outreach, and policy. Originally formed as a multi-sector collaborative, the Center was established under grants from the California Energy Commission Public Interest Energy Research (PIER) program, and is administered through the UC Davis Energy Institute. The Center is at present comprised of six member programs including biomass, geothermal, small hydro, solar, wind and integrated renewable energy systems:
- California Biomass Collaborative (CBC)
- California Geothermal Energy Collaborative (CGEC)
- California Small Hydro Collaborative (CSHC)
- California Solar Energy Collaborative (CSEC)
- California Wind Energy Collaborative (CWEC)
The program in solar energy is jointly operated with offices at UC Davis and UC San Diego. New programs are also being explored in other renewable energy areas including ocean energy systems.