Here are some easy ways to get involved:
1. Take the Lightbulb Challenge–changing one incandescent light bulb in your home or office to an LED bulb can save energy and money.
Heading to the lighting aisle soon? Keep these key factors in mind when selecting your light source:
- Identify where the light source will be installed in your home and decide if you need an omnidirectional or directional light distribution
- Replacing a traditional 60 W incandescent light bulb? Select a light source that produces ~800 lumens
- Shopping for your home? Pick a light source with a correlated color temperature (CCT) in the residential range of 2,700 K – 3,000 K
- Pick a light source that will last at least 10,000 hours (or about 9 years) and has a warranty of at least 5 years
- Select a light source with high CRI, targeting lamps with 90+ CRI
- Pick a dimmable light source that is compatible with your dimmers!
Full guidelines on How to Choose the Right Light developed in partnership with the California Energy Commission can be downloaded here. The Pocket Guide is designed to be printed, trimmed and folded to fit in your pocket, purse or wallet so it can assist you in the lighting aisle!
2. Check out some additional ways you can save energy and save money, including:
- Sealing leaks
- Installing a programmable thermostat
- Cleaning and changing your furnace filters
- Selecting ENERGY STARTM products
- Turning off lights and unplugging electronics that are not in use
- Running only full loads of laundry
3. Join the conversation on social media with #EEDAY2017