We are delighted that you are interested in joining us as a graduate student.
The UC Davis Energy Graduate Group provides you an opportunity to perform groundbreaking interdisciplinary research aimed at solving pressing energy, environmental, economic, policy and social challenges facing California, the United States, and the world.
The Fall 2024 admission cycle is now open.
Note: The GRE is not needed to apply to our graduate program.
EGG Admission Schedule
Admission to graduate studies requires a bachelor’s degree from an accredited institution. Students are typically admitted for the fall quarter, but off-cycle admission can be considered. The application deadlines for admissions are:
Priority Deadline: January 15th
Applications submitted by the Priority Deadline will receive priority review for admission and consideration of funding opportunities. We strongly encourage applications for any form of financial aid by this date as well.
General Deadline: April 1st
Applications submitted by the General Deadline (after the Priority Deadline) will be formally reviewed for admission by the graduate program but will not be reviewed on a priority basis.
Space Available Deadline: June 1st
Applications submitted by the Space Available Deadline (after the General Deadline) are not guaranteed to be reviewed by the graduate program. Applications will be reviewed only if the graduate program determines that additional space is available.
EGG Admission Criteria
Master’s degree applicants must have earned a grade point average of at least 3.0 in the junior and senior years of undergraduate study and must submit three letters of recommendation.
Master’s applicants who want to ultimately earn a PhD are encouraged to contact a prospective research advisor and make clear to that faculty member and in their application that their degree goal is ultimately a PhD.
Doctoral applicants normally will have earned a minimum grade point average of 3.5 and must also submit three letters of recommendation.
Applicants who already have a related MS degree are admitted to pursue a PhD degree. Applicants in this category are strongly encouraged to contact prospective research advisors. The program has a policy of admitting only those PhD applicants for whom a member of the faculty has agreed to serve as research advisor.
EGG Application Process
ALL OF THE FOLLOWING DOCUMENTS MUST BE RECEIVED BY OUR DEPARTMENT IN ORDER FOR YOUR APPLICATION TO BE CONSIDERED
- Apply Online
- UC Davis offers application fee waivers to applicants who have participated in specific graduate preparation programs (for a full list see Graduate Preparation Program Participants)
- UC Davis College of Engineering Equity Program Fee Waiver Eligibility
- Applicants must seek Fall 2024 admission to a PhD program administered by the College of Engineering. (EGG is within the College of Engineering.) Applicants for MS programs are not eligible for a fee waiver through this program.
- Only US citizens or current permanent residents are eligible to receive a fee waiver through this program.
- Click this link to request a College of Engineering application fee waiver
- Statement of Purpose and Personal History Statement. The Personal History Statement provides an opportunity for applicants to tell the Admissions Committee something about their unique backgrounds and personal histories. It may include information about other pursuits and interests of the applicant. It may give some details about any obstacles or disadvantages the applicant had to overcome, or inspiration for their pursuit of a graduate degree.
- The GRE is not needed to apply to our Energy Systems graduate program within the UC Davis Energy Graduate Group.
- Three Letters of Recommendation. All letters must be submitted electronically by the referee.
- UC Davis requires academic records from each college-level institution you have attended. You will be instructed to upload scanned copies of your transcripts after you have submitted your online application. For more details visit UC Davis Grad Studies.
- English Language Testing Requirement
- EGG Prerequisites. Please provide this information in the Prior Coursework section of your online application. If you have deficiencies in any of these areas, you will need to complete them in your first year of study.
- All applicants
- Intermediate Statistics
- In addition, Energy Policy & Management track applicants
- Intermediate Economics
- All applicants
EGG Change of Major or Double Major
If you are a current UC Davis graduate student and wish to change your major or add Energy Systems MS as an additional degree, you must file a Petition for Change of Graduate Major or for Double Major form. To apply to Energy Systems, please send the following information to EGG Graduate Coordinator, JoAnna Lewis, firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Petition for Change of Graduate Major, Degree Objective, Multiple Graduate Majors, or Multiple Degree Objectives
- UCD Graduate
- 3 new letters of recommendation
- A level of diversity is desirable, however academia is acceptable
- Please ask the letter writers to send their recommendations directly to the EGG Graduate Coordinator
- Statement of Purpose
- Please highlight your academic preparation and motivation; interests, specializations and career goals; and fit for pursuing graduate study in Energy Systems.
After submission of this packet, the Energy Systems Admission Committee will review the application and inform the applicate of their decision. If accepted, signatures from both the current degree and EGG Staff Coordinators and Graduate Advisors will be collected and submitted on the provided Petition. The completed form is then forwarded to Graduate Studies for their approval.
If you have questions or need assistance, please contact us.